The Peter Maddison Rheumatology Centre (PMRC) in Llandudno was opened on 4th July 2013. It is named after Professor Peter Maddison who founded the rheumatology service in the North West of Wales in October 1996 and then later retired in 2011.
The multi-disciplinary team is led by Dr Yasmeen Ahmad Consultant Rheumatologist who is also the clinical lead across the Health Board. Dedicated multi-disciplinary team meetings run within the department twice a week. The department provides specialist clinics including an early access inflammatory arthritis clinic, inflammatory back pain clinic, connective tissue disease and vasculitis clinic and a combined respiratory clinic.
Information and advice
Our philosophy of care
- To educate, empower and enable you to become an expert in your own care.
- We will educate you about your disease process and treatment
- We provide a multi-disciplinary approach to care to address your medical, psychological and physical needs. We have a dedicated team of doctors, nurses, pharmacist, occupational therapists and physiotherapists to provide this as well as access to podiatry
- We work closely with your GP’s and practice nurses through a shared-care approach, which means you will be able to have any blood monitoring required as part of your treatment in your local surgery
- Once your condition is stabilised, you will be followed up as required. This may be by a consultant Rheumatologist or in a multi-disciplinary practitioner clinic, to ensure your condition has not changed. If any changes occur in your condition are identified at a practitioner clinic you will be seen by a doctor for review. If your condition flares in between appointments you can contact the Rheumatology Advice line for advice or to request a review
For appointments: 03000 852 068
For advice about your medication, change in condition, if you are struggling to cope with your condition or to request and earlier review with any of the nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists or doctor: 03000 851 784