Rapid lateral flow tests are only for people who do not have COVID-19 symptoms. Please do not go to your Community Pharmacy for lateral flow test kits if you have symptoms. If you have COVID-19 symptoms you need to self-isolate and book a PCR test.
Get rapid lateral flow COVID-19 tests if you do not have symptoms
The rapid coronavirus testing kits for people who are not displaying symptoms of the virus are available to collect from different locations across North Wales.
The tests are easy to use and can give results in 30 minutes. As many as 1 in 3 people may have COVID-19 without displaying symptoms which means asymptomatic testing is an important means to keep people safe as restrictions are eased.
It’s important that even those who’ve had the vaccine take use the tests twice a week as they could still carry the virus and pass it on to others.
The twice-weekly rapid testing offer
In Wales, you can get lateral flow tests for you and your household if:
- you are a volunteer
- you cannot work from home
- you are an unpaid carer
- you are visiting Wales from elsewhere
- you are travelling to other areas of the UK
- your health board requires testing before hospital visits
- you or your partner are using hospital maternity services
- you are the parent, carer or guardian of a child in hospital
- you are going to an event that requires it
If you get tests through your employer or education setting you should continue to do so.
Where to get LFD tests
Each person will routinely be able to collect two packs of seven LFD self-test kits. It is recommended that tests are undertaken twice a week with the results recorded on the UK Government portal.
Local LFD collection locations across North Wales:
About the rapid tests
- The tests are easy to use and can give results in 30 minutes. It’s recommended the tests are done in the morning and 3-4 days apart. Read the step-by-step guide for COVID-19 self-testing before you start the test.
- If there is a positive lateral flow test result the person should self-isolate immediately and book a COVID-19 test (PCR test) within 24 hours by calling 119, online or via the NHS COVID-19 app.
- If negative then another test should be taken 3-4 days later. However if coronavirus symptoms develop in that time a COVID test should be booked.
- All tests results – negative and positive – need to be recorded on the UK Government portal.
- More information about lateral flow tests can be found on the Welsh Government website.