Skip to main content
Follow us on:

Glan Clwyd Hospital change to food hygiene rating

Following a recent unannounced inspection by Denbighshire Council’s Food Safety Officers, it was found that a number of fridges located at ward level at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd were not being managed in compliance with the Food Safety Act.

This has affected the overall Food Hygiene Rating for the hospital, which has been reassessed as one when previously the score was four. This score in no way reflects the food or hygiene standards of the catering department or food services at Glan Clwyd Hospital.

Gill Harris, Executive Director of Nursing and Midwifery at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board said:

“This inspection has highlighted an issue with the management of a small number of fridges on our wards which are used to store leftover food and drinks for patients. In response, we have already conducted an audit of fridges of this type across the Health Board and have strengthened our processes for checking fridge temperatures.

“I can reassure staff, patients, and the public that there have been no recorded incidents of food or drink related illnesses at Glan Clwyd Hospital and that the in-house catering staff continue to deliver high quality catering services from new, modern kitchens.

“We ask that patients and visitors help us to maintain good food safety by:

  • bringing only food which does not need refrigeration or reheating into our hospitals;
  • buying only food or drinks from the hospital café/shops for patients that does not need to be refrigerated or reheated in hospital; and
  • not bringing takeaway food into hospital.”

Notes to editors

  • A “ward kitchen” relates to a small area, which typically has a kettle, toaster and fridge, where patient food may be prepared and stored at ward level.
  • The Health Board prepares and serves 10,000 meals to patients every day – that’s over 3.5m per year.
  • A re-inspection will take place next month to evidence completion of the actions required. After this inspection, we will apply to Denbighshire Council for a rescore.